Margaret (Gryder) Groom
1. My grandmother, Margaret (Gryder)Groom was born 1844 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, daughter of Hiran "Hi" Gryder (1806-1880), and Mary Dora (Hays) Groom (1813-1894). He was born in Danville, Kentucky and she was born near Nashville, Tennessee.
2. Margaret was the 5th. of 8 children born to Hiram and Mara Dora, all born in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, Ellen, Martin, Martha Jane, William C., MARGARET, Samuel C., Hugh C. and Robert T. Hiram Gryders' family were of Irish descent.
3. Margaret's mother, Mary Dora Hays, was the daughter of Charles L. Hays Sr. and Morning (Enochs) Hays. She was half Indian.
4. When Charles Hays' father Samuel Hays died, a future President of the United States, ANDREW JACKSON, was appointed to be the tutor for his four sons: Andrew, Campbell, CHARLES L., and Hugh.
5. The Hays family were of German descent. ( My father, Rev. M. S. Groom, gave me this information).
6. Margaret Gryder and Rev. Needham York Groom were married in 1864 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
7. They reared their first 8 children: Ida, Augustus, Robert, Martin, Mary, Millage Short, Nolan Alexander, and William, in Webster Parish, Louisiana. Lou, their youngest child was born in Van Zandt County, Texas.
Descendents of Margaret and Needham York Groom
Much of this information was sent to me by a descendant of CHARLES HAYS JR., Thaddeus Pardue , of Bossier City, Louisiana.
These notes were compiled and written by LOMA (GROOM) HARRISON, a descendant of MARY DORA HAYS -daughter of Charles HAYS SR.
LOMA (GROOM) HARRISON is also the granddaughter of MARGARET (GRYDER) GROOM, wife of REV. NEEDHAM YORK GROOM and daughter of REV. MILLAGE SHORT GROOM
was the son of REV. NEEDHAM YORK GROOM.
BACK TO NEEDHAM YORK GROOM
BACK TO GROOM'S STREET